The man seems to awaken from a dead sleep, because he's startled and stumbles across the pool deck at the sound of my panicked request. Within a minute he crosses the span of three flights of stairs in a jog. Within ten, he’s cleaned up the perpetrators, disciplined them, and has them outside - safely hidden away from their edgy mother. If there was a modern day version of a knight in shining armor, that guy was it. Respect.
better comes after the worse." Doug Larson
#WhatYouSeeIsNOTWhatYouGet #Love'sLikeAFineWine #RespectGrows
Respect. We all truly believe that we have it on day one, but it wells up so wide and all-encompassing when:
- You find out that your Grandparents have cancer, and he draws you a bubble bath without saying a word.
- He feeds the baby with an extra bottle so that you can sleep a couple of hours.
- He loads the dishwasher and takes charge of bedtime after a rotten day.
- You look at yourself in the mirror, stretched and overworked by motherhood, and yet he can’t keep his hands off of you.
- When the finances are tight and there’s no sitter, so you spend the evening eating pizza rolls by the light of your favorite movie.
- When you truly wonder if the relationship is going to make it and then the making up happens – slow and reassuring. Forgiving.
Don't believe the lie. These relationships, these beautiful architectures - they're constructed as life's stresses bend and shape our ability to rely on one another.
They grow strong as we're sure that we can do this life ourselves, but slowly realize that we don't have to.
Be encouraged Newlyweds, the best is yet to come.
Be filled with gratitude Veterans, and celebrate respect earned over time and shared cups of coffee.
Be joyful Singles, as God places friendships or dating relationships in your life for a purpose.
All my love,
(The one whose kid still has mascara in his ear.)