Those factors aside, I read my devotional and scriptures this morning, poured a cup of coffee, and plopped myself onto this seat cushion wondering if I might have something to offer you. Wondering what God might bring to mind to pass along. But then, they came. The voices - all different flavors but essentially the same brew. The ones that say, "Are you sure you're capable of doing this?" My original topic was thrown right out the window, as I thought about all of the messages we'll be bombarded with this week - about all the obscene lies that we'll choose to entertain.
- I'll never catch a break. Why try?
- Everything seems easier for all the other families I know.
- I'm an "Ok" employee/friend/parent, but my friends are phenomenal compared to me.
- My guy/girl deserves someone who loves bigger. Somebody healthier.
- She constantly judges me...maybe she's right.
- My kids shouldn't have a mom/dad that loses their cool so fast.
- The promotion should be for that guy, the more talented one.
- I don't have a whole lot to offer. I'll keep my distance.
So to all of you fakes, frauds, and messes - show up anyway. Be present. Be willing. Be yourself. I know that somebody needs to hear that this week. Maybe it's me.
With you and for you,
LET'S TALK: What have you been up against lately?
along unfamiliar paths I will guide them;
I will turn the darkness into light before them
and make the rough places smooth.
These are the things I will do; I will not forsake them.